Raspberry Pi Jam - at the space!

Looks like we might have been beaten to it - Sept Guildford Pi Jam - or perhaps we could collaborate ?

Iā€™d suggest we should try to get involved and help out, Iā€™m sure we can all work together constructively.

One possible idea for the future might be to alternate organising Pi Jams if the folks running this one are up for that.

looks like its sold out already

Stuck a bunch of pics of the Pi Jam up directly on the Facebook page (again to make it look more ā€œlived inā€, get more attention, etc):
They are also here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/tictactoepony/albums/72157683350805742

Spoke to a number of people today about the Makerspace, so we may well see new people dropping by at open sessions or on the forum here - specifically some amateur radio enthusiasts who donā€™t have anywhere to meet at present, and sounded interested in the space,

1 Like

There is planned Community day where the goal is to have Jams in loads of locations on the same days
3rd/4th March 2017.

Iā€™m planning to get to the space more often after August and happy to be involved with setting up a Jam at The Boileroom. It would be good to fit one in before the 3/4th March so we can apply for the Jam Starter Kit that includes worksheets, stickers, flyers and (if itā€™s still the same) 10x Pi-stop (https://4tronix.co.uk/store/index.php?rt=product/product&product_id=390)
Then when we register for the Jam weekend there is another kit.

I have access to 7 24" monitors, so this would help in putting in place a workshop setup.
At Egham we had people working in pairs and did 2 sessions. It worked well even with people who didnā€™t know each other.

Letā€™s give ourselves a goal of November.

So,

1. whoā€™s up for working with me to organise (once Iā€™m back from holidays)?

2. who has things to share that we be put on as part of the show and tell?

3. Whoā€™s up for doing running a workshop?

4. The space is 3D printing central. Maybe a beginners guide to 3D printers/printing
    Also, maybe a more advanced session. Iā€™d expect people have 3D printers and only ever printed things (badly) from thinkiverse.

Probably lots of bits I havenā€™t thought about.

1 Like

Iā€™d be happy to show and tell the usual Octopus project :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve emailed The Boileroom asking about possible Sundayā€™s in November and also about the 3rd/4th March 2018.
Once we know dates we can work out the logistics.

Response from The Boileroom

Any Sunday is fine, but earlier in time would be better, in case we get a gig booking in the evening.
So something like 12 - 3 or 4 would work best.

Thinking over lunch isnā€™t ideal, but 12:00 - 3:00 would give enough time in the morning to set up and enough time afterwards to pack out and clear the space for any bands playing in the evening.

Now itā€™s up to us to pick a Sunday in November.
Thinking 5th, 13th or 19th November for the first Jam

Then 4th March 2018 for second one. I cannot make any events this weekend as itā€™s my daughterā€™s birthday but it would be good to go ahead with the Jam as this is a World Wide activity that could create exposure for the Makerspace.

The Nov dates look doable (I presume you mean 12th, not 13th?)

Yes 12th. Fingers nearly work.

Excellent stuff Albert! - Iā€™d be happy to help out, and may have something Pi-ish to show off by then.

Iā€™m not too sure how we can make best use of the space as far as running Workshops goes - Iā€™d suggest trying to get a look at the venue the next time you make it along to the makerspace.

Coming back to this after more than a month

Will we go with the 12th November 12:00-3:00. (I emailed the Boileroom to understand how it works)

I know strange time but could be good for first.

Iā€™ve enough setup for 7 workstations for workshops.
And some extra displays.

Iā€™d expect 3D printers will be part of the event.

Finally, what about a kit of parts that can be sold on the day.
Even something as simple as LEDs, resistors, breadboard, switches and wires to do simple project stuff. Help get people started.

There are GPIO identifier. Would there be the ability to laser cut some SH Makerspace branded ones for the day.

Was also thinking. If we 3D printed a few of these chassis (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1113796) we could either do workshops to build and program a robot or use them as part of a PI-noon activity (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZecAef4WGk)

Just spoke to Joe James from The Boileroom and the details are:

12th November 2017 is available.
Weā€™d need to be out by 5:00pm as there is a Social Cinema in the evening.

There is a limited number of tables available for set up so we would need to work out if extras are needed.

Other then that itā€™s a matter of getting people along.

My expectation is the event would be free with the possibility for donations or a raffle.

Iā€™ll get the event on Eventbrite and the Raspberry Pi Jam calendar and we can start the promotion in earnest.

Good news!
In terms of tables, we have a long folding one actually in the space itself that could be brought downstairs to be used for this.

Claire

Itā€™s Live on Eventbrite now.

Let me know if the listing needs to be modified.
Think more is needed on the makerspace.

Also, as show and tell items are confirmed we can update the listing.

1 Like

Good news! Pi Jam pack out for delivery so weā€™ll have some goodies for this event :smiley:

Great the pack has arrived.
Until now we have 18 registered to attend.
Iā€™m going to email the Egham Jam mailing list to see if any of them are interested.
Does anyone have other means of getting the word out.

Have we committed things for the event?
I can bring ZeroBall which is now Halloween themed (12th November is still OK, rightā€¦)

With space limited I can bring along 5 Raspberry Pi setups for people to use and play with on the day.
Using these I could do a proactive workshop on using Scratch and/or Python.

3 weeks to go.

Singing octopus can make it. Julian asked if we should use the event pack stuff for workshopsā€¦

Iā€™d suggest asking whoever you talked to at the Boileroom to see if they can include an ad for it in their weekly email (give them a graphic/link to include).
Leave ads in Guildford library, local university, ad in local paper maybe?

Itā€™s on The Boileroom site.
https://www.theboileroom.net/events/2017-11-12-1st-sh-makerspace-raspberry-jam-the-boileroom

I provided the following flyer
shm_20171212.pdf (820.6 KB)

Iā€™ve got the Python and Scratch worksheets for getting the pi-stops to work.
The Foundation originally only did Python so we can decide if we want to do Scratch.

The other worksheets are for Minecraft, no additional hardware needed.

SenseHat - there is an emulator provided with the Raspbian so again can be done without physical hardware.
I have my own SenseHat so people can at least see what it looks like it real life.

So, yes, we can use the Foundation worksheets for the Jam.

1 Like