Soldering Workstation

A placeholder topic for the Soldering Workstation.

Upon his return to Texas @the_mayor kindly donated us his tenma soldering and rework station:

I also have a @Macaba approve hotplate for SMD work:

We also have a nice illuminated magnifying lamp. Plus a bunch of other soldering tools.

It would be great IMO to have a dedicated area set up for soldering.

2 Likes

Lovely. A dedicated station is a must, it’s been a mainstay of GG and from my early research looks to be a very popular thing to have on the “makerspace equipments” list.

What else should be included at this workstation? A scope perhaps? Some space hand tools, shadow boarded and organised, as well as a selection of wire and components might be an idea. The Blue Inserter might also have pride of place here :slight_smile:

Just for future reference if we were to obtain any more soldering stations, this one is incredible value for money. It is virtually identical to the above station less the rework tool, and a fraction of the size.[quote=“Jagmills, post:3, topic:252”]
What else should be included at this workstation? A scope perhaps? Some space hand tools, shadow boarded and organised, as well as a selection of wire and components might be an idea. The Blue Inserter might also have pride of place here :slight_smile:
[/quote]

I’ve got some great little containers of assorted components from Banggood which I wouldn’t mind donating - various caps, resistors, transistors, LEDs etc.

One thing that Richmond reported was that probably the most used facility was the solder/assemble/disassembly station.

One location which didn’t require you to go and fetch tools from all over the place when you were working on a project.

1 Like

Excellent :slight_smile: I’d agree about the tenma soldering station, until I made my homemade Weller tip station. I have quite a few pcbs left and I can make it cheaper than the tenma - it would definitely be my recommendation if we ever need a replacement!

I would also think something like http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/44-drawer-organizer-storage-cabinet-nd82d would be handy. I can envisage us scavenging bits out of old electronics, and somewhere to put the parts would be good!

My scope will be a permenant fixture in the hackspace, so thats one box ticked, we need solder (we should still have a reel), IPA, flux,paste, wick and tweezers etc…