With the changes proposed under “Renaming the Hackspace” this has prompted me to raise that we need to have a quick, open discussion about how we perform IT operations.
Things we need to consider:
- No one seems to have access to the Bitfolk provided sponsored VPS
- Said VPS is not powerful enough to run Discourse
- No one is able to handle the mail system AFAIK
- We need to have a setup which allows for some level of transience in administration
To this end I’d like to suggest we look at the following actions:
Set up an AWS account for items such as domains and services
I suggest AWS because its ubiquitous, several members are familiar with it, and it has powerful fine-grained access control which would be very well suited to our use case (i.e. adding and removing users who may have a specific role)
Register a new domain under the Surrey & Hampshire Makerspace Brand
We need a domain that properly reflects the name and brand.
Migrate everything to the new domain
Forum, Wiki, Blog, (E-mail redirection?)
Move the forum to an SHM system
While I don’t mind hosting the forum, I’d prefer if it weren’t on my personal VPS,
mostly for ownership reasons, I’d prefer it be on an SHM-owned system.
Additionally we should consider:
- Sorting out the hosting for the forum/wiki etc so that its on a more easily maintained platform.
- Sorting out the e-mail if required so its more easily maintained.
- Have a look at the Blog and consider ways we could make it more active (e.g. Using the Discourse API so we can promote user posts to the Blog)
These are just suggestions but I think we should discuss some ideas about how to sort everything straight.