Refurbishment Plans

It was great to get to the space. Coming along great.

Do we have some volunteers to finish these projects ?

I will be in tomorrow, with some french cleats to apply to the walls :slight_smile:

Might be a good day to see if we can organise some volunteers to assist in finalising everything? @stochastic_forest, what would you say is now outstanding?

I’ve moved this discussion here, as it seems to be more about the refurb now, rather than the session on Tuesday.

Yay for French cleats !

Here is a list of stuff that springs to mind and probably should be done at some point before we are ready to show ourselves to the general public, existing members of course are a more hardy bunch and can let themselves in whenever they want to :slight_smile:

Space and hallway lighting
Scotia
Move rack so it is accessible with bench in place
Network cable routing - switch/rack/WAP
Server socket
Shelving
Tool racks - walls
Retouch paint around window
Paint door
Paint benches
Enclosure/wiring for entry system
Seating
Install functioning 3D printer
Install functioning laser cutter
Site lathe
Rationalise storage
Threshold
Configure assembly/disassembly/SMD station
Install/configure general workstations/Pis

Anyone think of things I might have missed ?

I would argue that most of those are not “omg we can’t open to the public” items.

Tool racks - can be added whenever
Scotia - we’re not trying to win Grand Designs here
Threshold - won’t kill anyone
Painted door - can be done at any time
etc

They need to be on the list, but we shouldn’t be too precious about this. Not to be boring, but let’s not forget we have rent to pay…

Members are free to come whenever they want

I’m not entirely sure what needs to be done with the threshold, someone added it to the list on the whiteboard

The quicker we get the more essential things on the list done, the quicker we can start to build income from new members

Agreed. Will the space be tidy enough this evening to knock some of those things off the list? For example:

• move the rack we’ll need to get to that spot.
  • Threshold strip can be acquired from from B&Q by soemone on the way in.
  • Server socket I can do this, or for now just plug it in to one of the nearer sockets
  • Laser cutter - I plan to work on that tonight

If you like, I can start a new thread with your bulleted list at the top, and we can start start to cross things off it. Might make it easier for other members to know what we need a hand with.

How tidy would you like the space ?

Nothing heroic, but be good to be able to get to the laser and the storage - that’s something we can all help to rearrange.

Now the window fitters have finished all the benches are in their expected positions

Couple of things:

I am happy to finish sorting the lighting, unfortunately the rest of my life is getting in the way today. What is it like to get access at the week-end, if I can negotiate some time with the some of the other stakeholders in the family business? All of the dirty work should be done (ok the work that is going to produce dirt in the space, I prefer not to think too much about some of the genuine victorian dust in the attic).

I wrote threshold on the whiteboard as there is a loose piece of wood where the laminate stops and the boileroom carpet stars. As that is a high traffic area, I think it probably needs sorting before it starts causing damage to the rest of the laminate. I haven’t looked at it yet to form an opinion on what “sorting” involves, but a threshold strip from the orange empire sounds like a good start.

Florian

That’s very kind of you to offer help Florian.

I spoke to Joe this evening, he says there is a window to turn off the power during the period 2:00pm to 5:00pm on Sunday as he is doing some work in the BR.

How long do you think it will take to finish the wiring ?

Let me know if you can negotiate some free time, I’m at the Repair Cafe on Saturday until about 12:00pm, otherwise I can probably be around on Sat/Sun to help out.

I have come into the possession of three IKEA wooden folding chairs. They don’t quite have the rustic charm of the pallet wood stools but they have the benefit of being foldable. I am thinking that they may have potential to replace some / all of the office chairs, but I don’t want to add to the stock of “might be useful” stuff in the Makerspace and it’s attic unless there is a broad consensus that they would be a worthwhile addition to the Makerspace inventory.

Here is the catalog link for reference: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/chairs-stools-benches/chairs/terje-folding-chair-beech-art-64833108/

Florian

Thanks for that @florian, they look as though they would fit in the loft if we decide we wanted keep them out of the way, so that’s a +1 from me.

Do we have any tasks left? Might be worth popping them on here so we can get to them easily :slight_smile:

I would like to propose a couple of things:

1. Get a bin, I should be able to provide at least a small round one, but a square one would likely fit better in the space.
  2. Make a small corner shelf for the soldering area. Would be nice to raise the soldering station up, and allows for a bit more room underneath it to store bits.

Laser material storage shelf. I started, but it was a bonkers plan so abandoned it.

Looks like reply-by-email is broken :frowning:

Paging @Takumo! :slight_smile: