Refurbishment Plans

In other discussions, are we going to paint the whole room purple? :smiley:

1 Like

I think someone suggested painting the pipes purple :wink:

1 Like

… and then use the proposed vinyl cutter to cut out lots of SHM logos to stick on the walls?

Now you’re thinking with Makerspaces!

I have a few fancy Mitutoyo posters for the space, and we will have quite a bit of room for art and wall coverings etc. It is indeed a creative space, and I really like the idea of making it funky and inspiring.

I may be able to come up with something textile-related when the logo is agreed on… I shall see :smiley:

1 Like

Surely any bare walls will be used for storage :wink:

1 Like

That is more or less the plan! However as I keep harping on, french cleats on the wall are going to be our friend. The bare walls in between the cleats can be used for other things, and tools and fixings can always be moved out the way to make them visible :slight_smile:

Don’t forget that we have the ceiling which could be used for art & images.

Not clear to me: is someone bringing laminate and underlay? Is that a B&D style workmate I see? Is there a jigsaw and laminate cutting bit? Do you have those ratchet tightening thingys and knock bars available, as well as spacers? Hoping to make it tonight and wondering if I need to raid the shed for some tools…

wont that be a problem because of the hooks and rails in the ceiling used
for storage :wink:

Storing ‘stuff’ above peoples heads might not be a good idea, there would have to be rules and policing (and we want as little if this as we can get away with) of what is stored because you don’t want the possibility of anything falling on someone whether it is a liquid of object.

Ceiling mostly painted, alright we just noticed we missed a bit , flooring started , progressing well.

1 Like

Flooring nearly there !

The end of makerspace move in day 2 has seen us finish the floor, the painting (more or less), hung a door and added our own lock. A surprisingly complicated task in the end!

Thanks to everyone who’s helped so far. More work is likely to be done this weekend, and we can start properly looking at the furniture and equipment move soon.

1 Like

Another busy weekend at the Boileroom. Some things that were completed:

@AndrewPatience, @makoto and less of myself got the networking in the space set up. This involved running some cat6 cables through the loft and into the kitchen, which certified loft-monkey Andrew did, swinging from the rafters with great dexterity.

feeding cable through the existing duct

and away it goes! Not seen: Andrew getting dusty

Makoto showed up with lots of networking goodies, and another cable was fed into the center of the ceiling for our new wireless Access Point:

more ominously dangling wiring added to our collection

Glowy! Tape to be removed to avoid upsetting Matt

We now actually have our own wireless in the space, too! 200Mbps downspeed, not too shabby.

Finally I was working on assembling one of the Massively Modular Storage Units, which took me far longer than expected. I only managed one, but here it is storing some things in all its glory:

Position to be determined, and one more to go

1 Like

Are we allowed to assemble the other cabinet today ?

I took my jigsaw home, sorry - it might be tricky without it to finish the back, which needs to be trimmed to size.

Some edjits gave the wrong measurements for the back panels…

The steps I took to fit it were:

• Sand the batons down on both sides of the side panels to make them flush.
  • Lay everything down on our nice even floor
  • Attach the top by drilling pilot holes and screwing 5 screws into the attached batons (through the side panels)
  • Attach the bottom by simply screwing a shelf down onto the batons
  • Check everything is square
  • Screw in the middle shelf
  • Tape the two back panels together
  • Check everything is square (again!) - I hammered in two nails into the top corners to have a good anchor point for a tape
  • Mark the center points on the top and bottom of the caracass, and align with the back panel gap
  • Hammer in a few nails in the corners per side to keep everything in place
  • Hammer a few nails in along the side panels (tricky to do due to the overlapping panel)
  • Trim the panel off
  • Sand the panel edges
  • Hammer in as many nails as you can
  • Attach the feet

Maybe we can get a push on for “no more construction by Friday”? There’s always going to be something to do, but maybe it’s time for those to become separate hackspace “projects”.