This might be a little late, but I've just tracked down the official rules for the raft race here.
One gotcha for us might be that we can't use commercially manufactured paddles, that means we will have to throw together something serviceable tonight.
I also note we need a 2m flag pole. I can bring a garden cane if no one else has anything better, can we make and paint a flag this evening ?
Pirates, buccaneers, shipwrights and admirals, by order of Captain Keeno and his associates, the following are the final rules for 2017:
– All rafts must be deemed Canal-Worthy by the assessment panel prior to launch.
– You can be on site from 10am making / tweaking / finishing rafts…
– Raft materials must not contaminate the canal in any way.
– Rafts can be no more than 6 feet wide (that’s 1.8288m for the metrics)
– All vessels to be human or nature powered (paddles, wind, solar etc. are OK)
– No pre-made, salvaged marine parts (canoes, paddles, outboards etc..). No marine-ply!
– All participants must wear life jackets (we will provide!)
– All participants are responsible for the removal and/or disposal of their raft following the event (all the bits…from land or water)
– Each raft must have at least two people on board.
– There is no maximum number of people that can be on board but all must pass the finish line (swimming trunks recommended but not required).
– All teams must be able to carry their rafts overland from finish to start line if they are fortunate enough to win the heat
– The judge’s word is final – until next year…
– You must register your team name
– Each team must have a flag and a 2m flag pole!!!
– All team members must be able to swim 50m
– Maximum draft is 4 foot
For more information contact The Carpentry Club, Oxford House, Derbyshire Street, London E2 6HG