Laser Cutter Refurbishment

At the moment, Friday’s are pretty much a sure thing - I have those pre-approved from The Boss :slight_smile: With a couple of days of notice though, I can probably get permission for a Wednesday or Thursday too.

The best time for Ryan and me is one of Saturday 3 December or Sunday 4 December. Is either of these possible?

Regards,
Malcolm

I can make either of those dates.

Me too. Whatever suits you guys best.

Either are fine for me as well :slight_smile:

That’s three of us, with the two of you that’s probably enough for starters :slight_smile:

We can then train others as required ourselves.

Forgot to add @Malcolm_Napier, is there anything worth preparing beforehand? We have plenty of materials to cut, and I’ll get the venting and chiller sorted out tonight I hope. Are there any particular things used for cleaning the laser head? I’ll make sure we have whatever is required.

I need to check back against the spec but I think that if you have the ventilation sorted and we agree that we will look at the idler/belt run once we know how much of an issue it is (i.e. once Ryan has calibrated the laser to his usual high standard), then the main agenda items are

1. Ryan showing you how to calibrate the laser and maintain calibration
  2. Other “maintenance and repair” tips and tricks
  3. Fitting safety interlocks (I will send you all an email about this in a moment).
  4. Fitting Current Meter (to provide a decent indication of power being used). I will also check this one with Ryan and Richard and get back to you

Forgot to say that my preference is for 4 December. However, how easy hard will parking be on that day relative to the Sunday?

OK. I have caused confusion - because Saturday is 3 December!

I have booked Ryan and myself to come down to SHM on the afternoon of 3 December. Will that be OK?

Also, the ammeter that Ryan suggests is this.

Are you guys going to source this and the proximity sensors? (Microswitches will also do the job but aren’t as elegant. They are more readily available at sensible prices in the UK, though.)

I’ll order the panel ammeter and sensor now. I’ll make sure we have some microswitches on hand, because there’s a chance the sensors won’t arrive from China in time. We can always retrofit them if they arrive late.

Saturday is perfect for me. Parking shouldn’t be a massive problem - worst case is there’s the multi-storey just round the corner.

Excellent!

Let’s call that a definite arrangement then. I will let you know closer to the date exactly what time Ryan and I will be aiming to get there and we will leave you to organise the kit.

I’ve ordered the components. They are on a rowboat from China, so there’s a good chance they won’t be here in time, but I’m sure we’ll find plenty to do with the calibration and maintenance stuff.

I have some spare micro switches to hand, and even an ancient moving coil ammeter if that helps.

Dear @Malcolm_Napier,

Just to say the three of us will be at the space this afternoon (I plan to be there around 12).

Looking forward to seeing you both, and to getting the cutter in tip top condition :slight_smile:

Just to check, is there any reason I shouldn’t remove the laser exhaust pipe from the window ?

It’s probably exhausted from all the movement…
(i.e. I don’t know and I’m being a fool…)

I was waiting for the ‘Ceci n’est pas une pipe’ gotcha :wink:

It should be pulled back in once finished with - as Mark puts it, to “stop pigeons living in there” :smiley:

We could invest in a flappy tumble dryer type affair to cover the hole up.

I’ll stow it now :slight_smile: