Important Space Announcement!

Hi all,

It’s with great excitement that we can finally announce that we have officially found a home for the Surrey & Hampshire Makerspace, and that is the Boileroom in Guildford. Have a look at the recent email from Matt (copied below) all about it if you haven’t had a chance to yet.

What this means, unfortunately, is that now is the time for everyone to step up and help to make sure we can not only pay the rent, but also pay for some cool toys to furnish the space with.

The standard price for membership is going to be £25 per month, and anyone that joins or confirms their membership (with payment) before the 1st of September 2016 will be granted the eternal and much-sought-after title of “Founder Member”. In addition to that:

• A natty SHM founder members T-shirt to wear at prestigious social events.
  • Your name emblazoned on a founder members plaque to be displayed in the space.
  • Twice the storage volume offered to standard members, in perpetuity.

In time, we should be able to add some other tiers of membership, and various mechanisms for ad-hoc donations. We’re still working out the details of what platforms to support, based largely on the fees they take out of the donations.

Some of you have kindly pledged to pay an increased membership to support the space, and others have offered to pay an up-front lump-sum of several months worth of payments, and that is greatly appreciated by everyone, and will go a long way towards making sure we can thrive and continue to break make new and interesting stuff!

We’re working on a payment and registration system, but until that’s in place, please don’t hesitate to PM or email me and I’ll let you know the details of where to send payments. Alternatively. for those of you keen on a more off-the-record process, we can accept cash too. Please note though, that due to the nature of the organisation, we will need your full name and address if you want to be an actual member.

If, for whatever reason, you can no longer go ahead with your pledge or membership, that’s absolutely fine, and I’m sure we’ll still see you on the open nights, but please do let me know, so I can update our delicate budget during this tricky startup period.

Many thanks,

The Directors

Forgot to mention, the official moving-in date is September 1st, but it might take us a little while to sort it all out. For now, assume the first couple of sessions after that might be “build your hackspace” sessions :slight_smile:

2 Likes