Boileroom Suggestions - Raised Floor

So one idea that’s been suggested is to add a raised floor to the space, so we can use the space under the floor as storage. The ceilings are probably high enough for this at 2.71m (8’10), but it’ll obviously add cost to the initial build. I’m not sure either way yet, so just posting up the official RFC.

If we build it, it’ll need to conform to sensible building regulations and recommendations, so here’s one way to do that:

Basically the main joists should have 400mm centre spacing for the main beams. This plan only has a space of about 12cm under the boards, but we can raise the joists on risers easily enough to get whatever height we want.

Back-of-an-envelope calculations would put that at a cost of about £300 for the timber. Some form of floor covering and screws etc would of course also need to be accounted for.

1 Like

My main concern with this plan is that if we take a 2.71m ceiling height, take off 30cm for some storage and floor, that only leaves about 610mm of headroom over a 6’2" person.

That’ll start to feel claustrophobic to some. Also, that puts the window sills only 60cm above the new ground level.

A raised floor is certainly one option, however this would mean that the whole move to the Boileroom would have to be delayed until it was completed. One additional consideration is that it could impact those people with mobility issues due to the step up into the room or if a ramp was integrated then that would impinge on usable floor space.

I’d suggest that it would be more cost effective to create wall and/or ceiling storage, rather than under floor.

A quick google suggest that 2.4m is a common value for floor to ceiling heights in residential builds as it’s the size of a plasterboard panel and I think ICE gives a minimum value of 2.3m.

With a 30cm underfloor cavity we get a theoretical 4.77 cubic meters of storage, making an estimate for wasted space for the support structure and areas that will be covered by other stuff, maybe that gives us 3 cubic meters of additional usable storage, which is quite a lot.

It might prove a useful place for the member storage option, rather than having to access the loft frequently.

It also allows us to bring power, audio, video and network to the central, and other, areas without trailing cables if we decide to have a solution which includes a meeting table or island workspace.

It is certainly more work and cost, with a small space to utilise that might be worth it.

Unfortunately the space itself doesn’t have good mobility access being on the first floor with only access by stairs, but a ramp into the space might be possible.